Tuesday 26 November 2013

FOUR Days Left.


With my time in Ethiopia quickly ticking to a close, many people keep asking “so how do you feel about leaving?” Honestly, I wish I knew.  If you asked me a month ago, I would have almost immediately responded “Extremely Excited!” I miss my friends and family immensely! And am still so excited that I will be seeing many of them in merely a few days.

But now that the date is almost here I feel that ‘mixed emotions’ is an understatement. While I missed home often during my stay, it is different because I knew I would be returning. On the other hand leaving Ethiopia is a strange situation; I have put my time and energy for the last 6 months into making Ethiopia a home. And it is finally starting to feel just that way. But with the rainy season behind me, the city has become more enjoyable and accessible every day. It is strange to have no idea if I will ever be back, and if I am will it even be comparable? This may sound silly, but in a city like Addis the population is almost on a constant rotation of expats on contracts of various lengths.

So while I am overjoyed and almost in disbelief that I get to see my family and friends this coming weekend. I am left curious, anxious and excited about what the coming months will hold for me. As not only am I unsure of whether I will ever be back in Ethiopia, I am unsure of what exactly I will be doing once the holiday season wraps up.

So in trying to figure out how to say “goodbye” to Ethiopia. I was lucky that the infamous (in these parts anyway) Great Ethiopia Run, lined up with my last weekend. The 10km road race, started by Olympic Runner Haile Gebrsellasie, is the largest of its kind in Africa. While I do not have the official number it is rumored that 37 000 people participated this year.

The crowd making their way to the start line.
So myself and my roommate Rachel made our way to the start point early Sunday morning, with 37 000 eager others. Firstly it was strange to see many of the surrounding streets, which are usually chaotic with traffic, completely closed off. But as we walked with the masses and inched our way to what would be our starting position—aprx 500m back from the start line as it was PACKED —it started to look more like an aerobics class meets a nightclub. There were speakers blaring music and people impromptu dancing and stretching in groups, not to mention a few men on stilts?

Me and 37 000 friends...
As Ethiopia is a nation of runners, for many of the participants the 10km distance at 2500m above sea level was merely a casual way to spend their Sunday—so the sung and danced more or less in groups through the entire race. While others, who were more so there just to participate, opted to walk. The combination of paces that people moved at, and the sheer volume of participants made running the race much like trying to navigate a busy market place on fast forward. At one point a girl stopped to tie her shoe in the center of a downhill section essentially body-checking Rachel.

Even though it was chaotic, it was an amazing experience. The energy from the group was incredible, but I think one of the highlights was in coming down one of the first big hills you could actually see the starters up ahead climbing the next hill—without having that visual it would have been hard to actually understand the sheer volume of people participating.
We did it! Participation Medals:)

And even though the altitude, the final hills and nearly getting heat stroke from the intense mid-day heat almost killed me, it is an experience I would highly recommend to anyone who ever has the chance to participate!!

So with that I am left with less than a week in Addis Ababa. And will soon find myself trading in my sandals for wool socks and boots, my morning macchiato’s for drinks by a fireplace; and perhaps Tuesday night soccer for a skate around the oval. My daily life is about to change drastically- but I’m as ready as I will ever be! Canada here I come!

Steph xx

As always please feel free to send questions or comments to me at steph.milo.mackinnon@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment