Friday 6 September 2013

Sports


X-Rugby Team Post National Championship Win


As the rain is finally drying up in Addis Ababa, I know that the leaves are slowly changing colours and the humidity fading in the little town of Antigonish Nova Scotia,which more importantly means that the university rugby season is starting. While I have naturally missed many things during my three months in Ethiopia –family, friends, summer weather, THE OCEAN, organized infrastructure…etc- Now that it is fall in Nova Scotia, I wish I could be playing with my X-rugby family as they kick off against Acadia tonight to open their season.

For as long as I can remember, I have been part of a team whether soccer (football) or rugby. As it was my ‘normal’ I did not realize the massive impact it has had on me as a person. Yet as this is the first time in FIVE years I am not playing X-Rugby, I find myself feeling as if I am almost missing something. When at the gym, I used to run faster or work harder primarily to secure/ fight for playing time. I remember the first time I went for a run once our season finished last year, I couldn’t help but ask myself what my purpose was? Is this simple for my physical fitness? A foreign concept to me!

So what is it that drew me to spend sooo much time with a team? Why do people pay big bucks to sit at professional games? Playing rugby at StFX was an incredible experience, for so many reason, but the only way I can explain it was when you were on the field, and everyone was on their game, it felt like you were one piece of an incredible well oiled machine, you knew that you were never alone, for me it epitomized teamwork and accomplishing something as a group that would be far out of your reach as an individual. When people would ask me how I spend upwards of 15 hours a week practicing and playing a sport, I would ask ‘how could I not?’ But up until recently, now that it isn’t at the center of my world, I could never have explained what pulled me to be part of it, it was just never a question in my mind. In hindsight however I think it is that feeling of being part of something bigger than you alone.

While I can hardly speak for all of society I think that there is something very powerful about sports, something unifying, something larger than ourselves whether you are actively participating in the game or engaged as a spectator. I know I chased that feeling for years, and the natural high I gained by playing rugby and winning two national championships with my X-Rugby family is a natural high I can compare to nothing else I have ever experienced.

Yet I also see this passion translated to fans. While at home in Canada it may be a passion for hockey which is most popular, but in Ethiopia my short time here has lead me to believe the passionate support is strongest for their national football team and runners. The first of my two experiences with this pride was when a parade erupted on one of the main roads when Ethiopia beat South Africa in a world cup-qualifying match, EVERYONE was cheering and dancing sporting the team’s colors. Or when their runner (Tiru) took the 10 000m title in Moscow- I was in a small bar in Yabello (500+km south of Addis—the middle of no where!) and 35-40 people were huddled around a small TV stand set up outside. When she won the small crowd erupted in cheers, hugging and congratulating one another for their nations victory.
Pre-Match vs South Africa - Fans on route to watch at Meskel Square
photo credit to Caroline


There is a wonderful unifying and connective power to such moments of celebration. A city or groups of people feel alive. It is for this reason that I am likely going to stake out a local sports bar this weekend with whoever else is game, to secure a good seat for when the Ethiopia – Central Africa football match starts.

So, to my X-Rugby ladies, even though I am half a world away TOP LEFT, I am still and will forever be with you even if not physically present. Best of luck defending your national title this year! And if my internet cooperates you best believe I will be watching all of the live streamed games… even if they do come in more like a slideshow of photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment