Wednesday 26 June 2013

Sweet Home Addis Ababa

Those of you who know me well, know that one of my main concerns, prior to beginning this adventure of a life time, was to not become engulfed in an 'expat life'; living in Addis the same way I would live in Halifax. While I have hardly come to abandon this idea, I feel it may need a little re-shapping. My naivety prior to my arrival in Addis lead me to believe, that as much as I did not want to think of the expat community as a homogenous group, I had. I had imagined them to be people who were uninterested in learning about Ethiopia even though they lived there... While it would be a blatant lie to say these individuals do not exist, it is a far cry from the attitude that permeates the community.

The similarity which binds the expat community together is the obvious fact that none of them are from the country in which they currently live; yet, this seems to be where the guaranteed similarities end. In my brief experience, I however think it is safe to say that anyone who is willing to leave their original home and find one else where must be at least a little adventurous.

Last Thursday, through a friend of a friend, I found myself at a local 'expat bar' known as a Guy's Bar, (Guy turned out to be a very friendly French man, who was in fact in attendance). There was an old expat band playing a special show this night. My understanding was that they had moved away from Addis a few years ago and were using this show as a Reunion of sorts. The band was made up of a German guitarist, a Bavarian base player a Belgian drummer and two singers; British and Irish respectively. They came together to play some classic rock covers. The band went by the name of Ishee Backa Cio  which literally translates to okay enough bye and is the first thing any expat will typically learn upon arriving in Addis. I immediately felt comforted by the familiarity of the songs they were playing; as well as the fact that I was surrounded by others who also knew all the words to the likes of Sultans of Swing, Paint it Black and Sweet Home Alabama.. which they changed to Sweet Home Addis Ababa for the occasion. 

While I originally felt like I was "cheating" in my experience by attending such an event, as life abroad 'shouldn't be this easy'... I realize in looking back, that it is not something which I must escape, rather another aspect of life that I should balance. Everything in moderation. The night Ishee Backa Cio played at Guy's bar I met many amazing people who had interesting and unique life experiences to share and build upon; from an Ethiopian girl about my age who has been studying engineering to a Portuguese free lance conference translator who is fluent in god knows how many languages, as well as  other interns my age. I realized that to completely cut myself out from this diverse world of expats would be to rob myself of a whole other set of life experiences and stories. 

While the reality of the expat community is still one which perplexes me, and leaves me incredibly curious to learn more about the people and their stories and how it all fits into life in Ethiopia, I am by no means about to run towards it forgetting the other wonderful relationships I have developed with co-workers who are quickly becoming good friends. I wouldn't trade my morning macchiato sessions or friday evening beers with my coworkers for the world. I feel so fortunate to have this time with them, it is when I learn most of my Amharic (Ethiopian National language), and where I have time to ask about the culture and most importantly where I laugh so hard I almost cry-- which I think is the foundation of any great friendship.. even if the laughter is at my expense!

I am however slowly coming to terms with the fact, although it isn't easy for me to accept, I do not have to choose one of the other. Its all about balance. 

As always please feel free to get in touch with me via e-mail: steph.milo.mackinnon@gmail.com and let me know if you have any questions or comments:)

Much love,
Steph xx

2 comments: